Sunday, April 1, 2007

A Matter of Age

This year some of my friends and I will reach our 50th birthdays. Talking with one of them this past week, he noted that the 50th is a big deal. I guess he's right.
I must admit, not until very recently did I even give it a thought that my 50th birthday was on the horizon. It didn't hit me until my recent health issues arose. Before that, I didn't feel like what almost 50 should feel like. Whatever that is supposed to be. If someone had asked, "how old do you feel?" I would have had to give it some serious thought. We associate advancing age with a loss of vigor and various ailments. I remember once when an office mate discussing her grandmother's desire to learn ballroom dancing said, "she should be at home in her rocking chair, not on the dance floor." That's often how we look at older persons. The reality is that many older persons are very vigorous and active. Not that I place myself in the older person category, but I did feel vigorous and was indeed active. So, the answer to the "how old do you feel?" question would have been, "young."
That changed. Not because of stealthily advancing age, but rather because of the rapid onslaught of medical professionals. On day I felt vigorous, vital, and energetic, the next day I felt old. Not old as in advanced years, but old as in drained and decrepit. Since age is not just a state of mind, but also a matter of physical reality, I wonder if something can be done about my particular artificially induced aging process. Not just slowing it down, but reverse it altogether. You know, like a face lift makes the face look younger.
I'm looking for a flux capacitor.

0 comments: